[10/03/29](The Star)Sweet memories

Aniu is proud to showcase his fully Malaysian-made movie, Ice Kacang Puppy Love.#H:X3E4@!S8[#`1I
.}!V*@#q%]0S)L
IT’S hard not to be awed when you read the cast list of Ice Kacang Puppy Love. After all, it has some of the most famous current overseas-based Malaysian superstars in it – Angelica Lee Sinjie, Victor Wong Ping Guan, Gary Chaw Ge, Fish Leong, Penny Tai, Nicholas Teo, Yi Jet Qi, as well as veterans Eric Moo and Angela Chan Mei Ngor.&K7G,A5T.P!S

&\"Z,W1G!T"~/]&QHowever, the real heart of Ice Kacang Puppy Love lies not in its glittering cast, but in the heart and memories of its director and star, Aniu.*[8v'p5X/S-G8i7V!E

4?5|.h+C$T:A#wIn many ways, this is a very personal movie for Aniu. The film is based on his own childhood experiences while growing up in Penang, and he plays a secondary schoolboy who is secretly in love with his school mate Fighting Fish (Lee).
6p Q"x(R9L4v*R$S*i0Y!s.m
Not only are many of his friends in the cast, he also wrote many of his own real-life childhood memories into the screenplay.
3Q9Z*D7} }2U)X#m!l9{(ewww.onlynicholas.com.hk
#C9\-}0G0n7["f6g%V([3h0?“My character is called Botak, which was my nickname since I was Standard Six. I got that name after I caught kutu (lice) from a girl at my tuition class and had to go botak (bald)!” he recalled with a sheepish grin.)U,s-M9n:T7q9l
%b*D9k;a0R(?
“Also, the scene in which Fighting Fish leaves Botak is the exact recreation of my own experience leaving my very first puppy love.”www.onlynicholas.com.hk&r"R3[+S*y.g%S4w3i'i%I
-i9H*x+z4x2m(y$b
Aniu (whose real name is Tan Kheng Seong) is best known as the guy who wrote the Richie Jen 1997 smash hit Dui Mian De Nu Hai Kan Guo Lai (Look Over, Girl Across The Street), but he found out the hard way that being a director isn’t as glamorous as being a musician.
#A(u7z%X1J#k;S張棟樑香港歌迷會
-~"k!\1I5V6H1J"I&Swww.onlynicholas.com.hk“As a musician, I have people looking after me. But as a director I have to look after everyone instead,” he said./t"P,h6[/};L-T,N Q
']!\,?&J3u#T"f(s"^
“After such a hard time making this movie, performing in a concert is like a holiday for me now. The life of a singer is much easier and more luxurious compared to being a director – I travel by business class, I stay in five star hotels, and I have people cheering me when I’m on stage. But as a director, I have to stay in tiny hotel rooms that are so small I have to sleep with my suitcase on my bed!”www.onlynicholas.com.hk.`9N-m%L4]!o8R0~)i
%].J.h6v4v
Suffice to say, Aniu isn’t giving up his music career anytime soon – music plays a big part in his movie, and he is very proud of the fact that all the songs in it were composed by local musicians.張棟樑香港歌迷會:b8~-[:H,a.m!w

0J3h's:D([;x8?)i&J6Awww.onlynicholas.com.hkIn fact, that’s not the only thing Malaysian about it – the filmmakers are also very proud of the fact that the movie is “100% Malaysian-made”, from the cast down to the locations and sets.www.onlynicholas.com.hk)A$E9j#J4D*t'd)i*|"f)N

#F5G.R1Q5J(D-H5a*m張棟樑香港歌迷會The movie was filmed primarily in the small town of Tronoh, near Ipoh, which was chosen because it resembles the small towns that Aniu grew up in.
&w"O#R&P"`6M,X:F7J-O,V$j"T0p0h%})]
“We looked at many towns, from the north to the south of Peninsular Malaysia and eventually decided on Tronoh because it has many authentic-looking buildings,” said Aniu.,x$|%@,j O&Q%X-a
www.onlynicholas.com.hk-@!P0S6q${-z#y
Unfortunately though, even Tronoh was not spared from the rapid development that is wiping out the charm of these small towns. “The first time I visited Tronoh (before filming), I saw a very nice, old building there.
9g!c;u-\5@1}/G-K7d(K張棟樑香港歌迷會
4J(u,W)x,O;X2Y.]www.onlynicholas.com.hk“But by the time we started filming, it had already been replaced by a modern glass building, so we had to cover it up using a bamboo screen! Then, one day after we finished shooting, a whole row of buildings was torn down,” he lamented.9B&]/X#I4J&y2o!j

8p3R/N3J-j!q4x張棟樑香港歌迷會According to him, small towns like Tronoh are a major part of Malaysia’s history and cultural heritage. However, with the highways bypassing them, many people forget their existence. “It’s heartbreaking to see them disappear just like that. I hope that through this movie, I might be able to preserve some of the memories we all have of these places.”
.O*f,s N1\ l6owww.onlynicholas.com.hk!i+J,d:T&m"A
The process of making Ice Kacang Puppy Love may have been difficult, but he is already looking forward to making another movie. “This has been a great experience and a lot of friends have been tempting me to make another movie. I would like to and hope this movie will be a success. I have many ideas in my mind and hope can turn them into reality.www.onlynicholas.com.hk$M&C"p7u4W!C4m&K

.Z2M#E2t/@*P%f!J“However, I think next time, I will just concentrate on directing and not cast myself in the movie anymore. It’s too tiring to do both.”張棟樑香港歌迷會8c;c3?'A8k2z

7G$U3h:O;zFor now, his primary concern is Ice Kacang Puppy Love. Although the movie will only officially premiere in Malaysia on April 15, at press time, the film would have undergone a baptism by fire at this week’s Hong Kong Film Festival.-U&f+y%U+o1\:z'L

*V9t5X;R.S,o.s張棟樑香港歌迷會As expected, Aniu was pretty anxious about the prospect of the movie making its debut in front of a non-Malaysian audience.
:t:D*~"N6Z+g3k:i b#a7q8u'U"V
“It would be interesting to see what people outside Malaysia think of the movie. After all, they may not have fighting fish or played guli before,” he said, adding that his hopes were high for the Malaysian screenings.
1a:S7o0I$x/A)_0@"m/m+q$L1J"x$o0q8r
“I really hope that Malaysians will support the movie and watch it in the cinema.” Citing the success of recent local movie Woohoo!, he also hoped that cinema operators would give local movies more support.
+X2H7E"Y,?:C7?7v$H1r$t3f4z!~8{+N6y
“Woohoo! would probably have earned more than it did if it had started out with more screenings,” he said. “I hope local cinema operators can support Malaysian movies more.”/x!?(?7x4B
www.onlynicholas.com.hk:?5O&_:c#n6_)l+_-m
FROM: THE STAR

0 comments:

 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 Silent Dreamer |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.